Monday 17 September 2012

Victorious Sponge


Every Victoria sponge I've tried to make since I left home has failed. I followed the instructions to the letter and it always came out as a hard, crusty, un-risen disaster. Once I made 4 sponges just so they'd get to the right height for a normal sponge.

This weekend I made my first successful and GORGEOUS Victoria sponge! The secret? A recipe off YouTube, lob it all in a bowl together and don't really think about it!

200g self raising flour
200g castor sugar
200g butter (mine was slightly salted)
4 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp strawberry jam
1 tbsp icing sugar

1. Mix the ingredients except the icing sugar and jam in a large bowl
2. Divide between 2 lined cake tins, which are about as wide as my hand span
3. Bake at 160°C for 25-30 minutes or until risen and golden
4. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the tins
5. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack
6. Sandwich together with strawberry jam then dust the icing sugar through a sieve over the top

Ta daaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment