Sunday 29 September 2013

Roasted butternut squash soup (with added finger...)

Empty soup bowl and spoon

After making myself and the house look nice I decided to cook! I've been feeling shattered and run down lately so my last trip to the supermarket saw me stock up on veggies galore. In my veg haul was a gorgeous large butternut squash, which I decided to turn into a spicy soup (and which resulted in me cutting my finger!). Here's what I did:

Spicy butternut soup

1 large butternut squash,  peeled and diced into one inch chunks CAREFULLY!
1 medium brown onion
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
850ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper

1. Roast the prepared butternut squash in olive oil in the oven, on a tray,  for about 30 mins at 180 degrees.

2. Finely cut the onion and fry gently in butter for ten minutes,  then add the garlic,  also chopped finely,  and continue to fry for a further ten minutes. Add the chilli flakes about 5 minutes before the end of cooking.

3. Once the butternut is cooked add it to the onion and garlic pan,  pour over the stock and whizz with a hand blender until the desired texture is reached. I like mine thick with some lumps,  so it's not like baby food!

It serves four people,  or three greedy pigs. Very tasty.

Butternut soup

Roasting butternut squash

No comments:

Post a Comment