Tuesday 10 June 2014

Salwar tunic into summer dress (part 2)

V neck

Ta-dahhh!

Not quite the final ta-dah but nearly there! The shot above is the neckline once I'd turned it out - not too shabby for a first attempt at a) altering a pattern, b) pattern matching (of sorts) and c) making a shaped neckline!

Mis-matched side seamsThe dress has progressed quickly this weekend. The steps I've done are understitching last week's work, joining the side seams, joining the back seam, inserting a zip and overstitching the neck. And of course, checking after all this time that it fits.

Joining the side seams... hmmm. I said in the last post that this fabric was printed wonky, and you can seriously see it when the side seams were joined. I have decided to not worry, and remember that many retailers out there would find this perfectly acceptable. Next time I'm going to be more alert about the quality of my bargains. Anyway, let's move on.

Zip pinned in placeTwo types of stitching meetTacked zip seamPinning boardI decided to embrace a different way of inserting the zip than the instructions advised. I used a method in my grey skirt with pockets which made so much more sense to me than the New Look instructions. I found my new method less stressful and I prefer the finished look. I stitched up to the notch on the bottom of the skirt, and backstitched as instructed. Then, I changed my thread and bobbin to something very noticeable, and changed my stitch length to the longest possible straight stitch. I zoomed up the back of the dress from the notch to the neckline; effectively tacking the back together. Then I pressed my seams open with the iron, and laid my zip over the tacked line, making sure the zip opening lined up with the "seam" I'd created After pinning this in place (by inserting my board between the front and back of the fabric, so I only caught the back in my pins), I sewed round the zip as neatly as possible.


Completed zip insertionUnpicking the tacked seamThen came time to unpick the tacking stitch. This is quite laborious on a long zip but it's worth it.
Neckline






Neckline overstitching
Here's my overstitched neckline. I'm really pleased with the outcome, and when I tried on my dress it looked neat and crisp.

The dress isn't finished yet. I need to hem it (after I've decided how long I want it to be) and then it'll be ready for its final photo and its first outing. Right now I'm putting the sewing machine away for a little rest, and going to sample the brownie I made first thing this morning... (recipe to come as soon as I've perfected it!).



No comments:

Post a Comment