Sunday 9 February 2014

Nothing beats a skirt with pockets

Simplicity 2226 pattern on polka dot fabric

I have finally bitten the bullet and got round to buying a skirt pattern and some fabric. Two pieces of fabric, actually.

I love a skirt with a pocket. Skirts can be a bit scary "ooh look at me I'm a lady", but add pockets et voila! A casual "I'm a lady and I don't care" attitude sweeps into my mind!

The pattern I've bought is Simplicity 2226. Don't judge me because it looks simple - sometimes the best things are simple!

Simplicity 2226 pattern

The skills involved may be "basic" but I learned early on with sewing that you don't win prizes for running before you can walk. One day I'll tell you about the dress I made to wear to my friend's wedding. 

The fabric I went for was a grey tweed suiting with black tulle detail (fancy), and some black jersey with polka dots. Now you see why I went for a simple pattern. I've never sewn anything with a pattern (a matchable pattern - I've done plenty of prints that don't matter) and I've never sewn anything with stretch. Stretch, good grief, slight palpitations are hitting me again. It'll be fine, breathe deep.

Grey wool with black tulleBlack and white polka dot jersey

I'm impressed with the fabric quality - I ordered it from Miverva Crafts, taking advantage of their winter sale. Both fabrics were 50% discounted to around the £5.99 a metre mark and I swear I've been sent far more than I ordered (love it when that happens). I also bought the pattern from the same place, as delivery is free if you spend over £30.

The Minerva Crafts website recommended pre-shrinking the fabric - stealing their actual words:
Allow 10% shrinkage for all your washable natural fibres (including viscose). For all fabrics wash before making up in the same manner as you would with subsequent washes (including drying methods). Jerseys and fabrics liable to mis-shape should be dried flat, or in a cool tumble dryer. Most fabrics should be pressed before cutting
This isn't something I've done before; I've worked in very stable polycotton and just plain risked it with some cheap but glorious fabric from an Indian co-ordinates shop.
Grey fabric in bathroom sink
I took the advice to mean "be careful, but wash it however you plan to wash the finished garment", so that's what I've done.

For the wool, I've dunked this in the bathroom sink in tepid water, given it a jiggle and then hung it over the shower curtain rail over the bath (and gave it a good gentle squeeze). A little dye came out, but nothing major, and it's sitting up there dripping to its heart's content right now.

Grey fabric hanging in bath
The jersey, I've treated it to a quick spin on the delicates cycle of my washing machine, and am about to apply it swiftly to the tumble drier on a cool setting. Fingers crossed it doesn't end up the size of a postage stamp.

They're both going to need a good press when they're dry - which I'll tackle in the week when my dining table is clear of laptops and fruit bowls and I can finally go to town with my scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment