Sunday 16 February 2014

Skirt with pockets - success!

Pocket skirt

I have finished Simplicity 2226 - the skirt with pockets!

I didn't really mean to do it that fast, but once I got started it was hard to stop. The pattern was incredibly easy, and each time I put my sewing down I read the next step and thought "I could just do that bit" and so on until I'm sitting at 5.30pm on Sunday with a finished skirt waiting to be worn on Monday morning, having started cutting bits and bobs out on Friday night.

Cut out pattern Sewing machine, scraps and pins Almost finished skirt Pocket

The Simplicity 2226 pattern was a simple one to follow, the zip part had me scratching my head because it was very different to any instructions I've seen before, but you know what? It may be my best ever visible zip! Impressive, Simplicity, you stood by your word!

Belt loops
The wool turned out to be very easy to work with. It's a fairly loose weave so it's not all that bulky to sew through - I didn't have to change any settings or the needle on my machine to get through it. The only thing that worried me was its potential to fray, but on any loose edges I used pinking shears.

There are some bits that I could improve on, but that just lays down the challenge for the next one I make - and I am definitely making more. I also went a little rogue when I did the belt loops - I wasn't overly keen on the method they suggested (hand stitching them to the outside of the top of the waistband), so I just incorporated them into a seam for ease and neatness. I don't think it detracts from the final piece.

I love the fit, the simple style is very much the kind of thing I like to wear, and I can see it working in lots of fabrics for all seasons.

Rather proud of myself, can you tell?!

Finished grey skirt

And here's me in it!

Finished skirt being worn

No comments:

Post a Comment