Saturday 1 March 2014

Comfort food for breakfast

Porridge in a bowl

Porridge ingredientsI love porridge. Especially the jumbo oat variety, but porridge in general is my go-to breakfast. I fancied trying something different with my oats this morning, so this is what I did.

1/2 cup porridge oats
1/2 cup milk
Just less than 1/2 cup water
Handful sultanas
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 manky old green apple (you can use a nice one, I only had manky ones left)

Put the oats, milk, water, sultanas and cinnamon in a pan and bring to the boil slowly, stirring a little. Let everything cook through until you've got pretty much the texture you want, and the oats are cooked (about 2 to 3 minutes). 
Porridge on the stoveGrate in the apple and stir. Heat the mixture through - I just left it while I cleared up the mess of grating a juicy apple - et voila! Breakfast is served. 
It did look a little bit funky because of the colour of the cinnamon, but it tasted lovely. Putting the sultanas in at the beginning means that by the time the porridge has come together they're juicy, fat and bursting with sweetness. 

No need for sugar when there's sultanas and cinnamon!

No comments:

Post a Comment