Monday 31 March 2014

Greek meatballs


A little while ago I bought loads of chicken thighs and froze them. They seemed like a good idea at the time, but really I missed chicken breast too much and they got ignored in the bottom drawer. After last week's salad extravaganza I had some halloumi left, so I decided to see if I could turn the halloumi and chicken into some sort of Greek delight. It was a success. Here's what I did:

Herbs and spices2 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
A clove of garlic
A generous teaspoon of dried parsley
A slice of white bread
One large egg
Half a teaspoon of cumin
Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
A handful of black olives, chopped
500g passata
100g spaghetti

1. I placed the parsley, garlic and bread in the mixer and whizzed until I got breadcrumbs

BreadcrumbsBreadcrumbs

2. I then added the chicken thigh chunks, as well as the egg, and blended together until the mixture was a consistent but rough texture
3. I scooped out small portions about the size of a walnut and placed them on a plate in a ball form, covered them with cling film and popped them in the fridge.


Chicken balls

4. It was at this point I wandered off for a while. Sometimes you just need to walk away and check your Twitter feed.
5. Then I returned and got to work with a frying pan at a medium heat. I popped some olive oil in, and fried the balls in batches until they were cooked through.


Fried meatballs

6. After removing the balls from the pan, I used the same pan and added the passata, cumin, cinnamon and olives.

Tomato sauce

7. Once this was heated up, I returned the meatballs to the pan.
8. It was at this stage that I put the pasta on to cook, simmering everything for 12 minutes.
9. Just before the end of cooking, about 2 minutes from serving time, I added the chunks of halloumi to the tomato and meatball sauce. I didn't stir it - I wanted to warm it without melting it into the sauce.
10. I then drained the pasta and added half of the meatball sauce mixture. The remainder of the sauce and meatballs is sitting in a plastic box in the freezer, waiting for my to finish work late one night. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment