Tuesday 11 March 2014

I love reading!

Reading book

I love reading but often don't make time to do it. It's one of those things that I forget just how much I enjoy until I start doing it again. I've read quite a few books this winter, and thought I'd share some thoughts on them.

Kiss The Girls, by James Patterson

I've just finished this. What an amazing story-teller James Patterson is! I was reading this because I wanted something with realism but that wasn't normal life, and also wasn't one of the fantasy books where being a good person guarantees you the perfect job and the perfect relationships. The second book from the Alex Cross series fitted the bill perfectly. It's structured in lots and lots (over 100) of really short chapters, each about 2 and a half pages long. The story is fast-paced and urges you to read more, and with the chapters being short you can easily think "I'll just read one more"... and before you know it you've read a book in a week. Very enjoyable thriller. I've bought the next three books in the Alex Cross series; that's how good it was!

Silver Lining's Playbook, by Matthew Quick

I bought this because I had heard the film was good, and was in the mood for something with a challenging topic (mental health, in this instance). I really, really enjoyed the book. It's incredibly short - I read it in a weekend (although I did little else really). I loved how the book made me feel for the main character even though he was quite frankly completely bananas! The characters are completely unique, like nothing else I've ever read, and though the story isn't plain sailing it does have a wonderful crescendo. I watched the film as a result of reading the book and enjoying it and.... well, they've changed fundamental parts of the story! The father is completely different, and there's another character who is completely, utterly wrongly presented in the film... I won't ruin the story for you but I would recommend reading the book over watching the film. It's Tropicana With Bits compared to the film's Robinson's Squash. And that's an oscar-winning film!

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbriath

This book appealed because I'd read Casual Vacancy and thought it would be as good. I was really disappointed! The story is about a private detective who is hired to work out if someone's death was a murder or suicide. The book just didn't keep a pace suitable for that kind of story. The story and the way it was written was approachable, but for me it lacked drive and excitement.

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

"Woah, didn't see that one coming". That's pretty much what I thought when I finished reading this! I was absolutely stunned at the way this story made me feel about the characters involved. It's engaging, exciting, confusing and excellent! And  you won't believe the ending!

Books I've loved but read quite a while ago:

Before I Go To Sleep, by S J Watson (su-PERB)
The Hunger Games Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins (there's a reason the trilogy is popular, and was made into a film!)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling (hilarious and you can really identify with Mindy)
Life Of Pi, Yann Martel (awesome book, much better than the film)
Casual Vacancy, by J K Rowling (very readable book for grown ups, a rarity!)
The Island, by Victoria Hislop (a beautiful story that makes you appreciate life)

Books I've enjoyed but probably won't pick up again:

Girls In White Dresses, by Jennifer Close
The Husband's Secret, by Liane Moriarty

No comments:

Post a Comment